Can CBD help with menopause? What you need to know
Can CBD Help with Menopause? What You Need to Know
CBD is extremely popular today; it is said to have anti-inflammatory properties, to be helpful for those who suffer from anxiety, insomnia and even osteoporosis. It is now commonly used amongst athletes, those with neurological disorders, and even people who suffer from acne, all who believe they’ve seen positive effects from its use.
Menopause is a particularly testing time all women have to go through in their lives, so could CBD also help make the transition from pre-menopause to post-menopause a little easier? Let’s take a closer look.
What is CBD and How Does it Work?
CBD is short for cannabidiol. This is a chemical compound found in plants in the cannabis family. While marijuana contains some CBD, it has a high concentration of THC. Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (known as THC) is the psychoactive ingredient that gives people a high.
CBD found on the shelves, however, comes from hemp plants, which contains little to no THC whatsoever, and so cannot give you a high (no matter how much you take). CBD naturally occurs in these plants and can be extracted and used in a vast array of products, from gummies and chocolate to oils and salves.
CBD works by interacting with your endocannabinoid system, which has receptors throughout the body that helps manage things like appetite, pain, and mood. When CBD attaches to these receptors, it is said that they set off signals that help the body better manage these aspects of our bodily and mental function.
What are the Benefits of CBD?
Many people believe the use of CBD is extremely beneficial for many different aspects of our health, such as:
- Managing chronic pain
- Alleviating mental health issues
- Reducing inflammation
- Treating multiple forms of epilepsy
- Managing arthritis
- Manage appetite
- Reduces nausea
- Reduces muscle spasms
So, if people have found relief using CBD for these issues, could it also be beneficial for menopause?
Can CBD Help Manage Menopausal Symptoms?
Everyone’s experience of menopause is unique, and the effects of CBD also don’t seem to be uniform, so it’s a your-mileage-may-vary situation.
For years before the menopause begins, the estrogen levels in the body swing extremely low and high, and many other hormones also follow this change in the body. Controlled by these hormones, numerous molecules in the body also increase or decrease.
There is also a change in the brain’s neurochemistry. The body increases its production of inflammatory molecules, and this affects a myriad of functions, from brain function to fat accumulation, to bone reabsorption. In short, menopause completely rewires the way the body works, and this is often difficult to adjust to.
Here are some of the symptoms of menopause that CBD may be able to help with:
- Anxiety and insomnia: When it comes to menopause, insomnia and anxiety generally go hand in hand, most often alongside night sweats. CBD can help to bring about a feeling of calm, which may help you relax, so it’s easier to get to sleep.
- Hot flashes and night sweats: When we are stressed, the amygdala, an area of the brain that contributes to emotional processing, sends a distress signal to the hypothalamus. The hypothalamus is compartmentalized into centers that control hunger, thirst, perceptions of light and dark, physical pain, and reproduction. It’s relevant here because the hypothalamus also controls our hormones and our body temperature. CBD likely has an influence on the body’s serotonin levels, which could help with this sudden change in body temperature.
- Memory loss: The hippocampus is the region of the brain that is responsible for memory, learning and emotion. Hormones, like estrogen and progesterone, encourages neurons in the hippocampus to form new connections, which means we may experience temporary memory loss. CBD attaches indirectly to cannabinoid receptors in the body, which has been seen to help preserve these connections.
- Mood swings and depression: Estrogen and progesterone impact the activity of serotonin and other neurotransmitters in the brain, which directly affects your mood. These hormones become erratic and drop down, which is likely to affect mood. CBD is said to activate serotonin receptors, which can help your body to manage stress hormones. This could make it easier for you to slip into a state of focus and relaxation.
- Aches and joint pain: When going through menopause, the body produces less and less estrogen, which means higher chances of inflammation in the body. The anti-inflammatory properties of CBD may help alleviate some of this discomfort.
Where Can I Buy CBD for Menopause?
If you are experiencing any of these menopausal symptoms, and are looking to try out a CBD product, you have plenty of options. We always recommend you do as much research as you need on CBD and a potential brand or company you’re thinking of purchasing from, so you can be sure they’re entirely reputable and that their products are safe to take.
LivKind offers a wide range of oils, teas, bath and body products containing CBD, so you can see if it helps you. LivKind has partnered with a leading CBD company in Colorado, so all of the hemp used is grown in nutrient-rich soil in the United States. All the products have the lab results available on the product pages, so you can see for yourself that they are virtually THC-free and approved.
We have partnered with LivKind to give you a discount on your first purchase! Use Promo Code Blog20 for 20% off your 1st purchase!
Sign up for our newsletter to receive more information and discounts on products
You should always contact your Dr if you are already taking medications and shouldn't stop taking medications without discussing with your Dr first. The FDA has not approved hemp or CBD for any medical purposes, and we make no medical claims about CBD.